Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts with the label Home

Maynilad’s mitigating measures to ease possible water shortage this summer 2020

As summer approaches, aside from feverish temperatures, one of the things that make us lose our cool is a water service interruption. In the first half of 2019, we've experienced a water crisis that affected the whole Metro Manila and almost all parts of the country.
Since the crisis has affected everyone, I remember even water refilling stations packed with consumers hoping to fill their water gallons lined up like waiting for a blockbuster movie. It was an unforgettable experience for many that the water concessionaires like Maynilad and Manila Water were flooded with complaints from their consumers.

For Maynilad, it was a challenge to maintain 24/7 supply for all of its consumers as the water level in Angat Dam plunged to below-critical levels. It is from this dam that 91% of Maynilad's raw water supply comes from, and the remaining 9% comes from Laguna Lake.  The below-critical water level in Angat Dam compelled the National Water Resources Board (NWRB) to reduce raw wate…

A Beginner’s Guide: Stocking Up On Essential Cookware And Kitchenware

If you are just getting acquainted with the room in your house in which you can prepare food, the first thing you should know is that it is called a kitchen. Did you know this one? Of course, I know you did. But, I would so like to hear different suggestions for the name. “Food burner? That thingy that feeds you?” If you have a creative solution, please, DO share it.
But, let’s stop kidding around for a short while. At least as long as it takes us to learn some basics. I don’t know about you, but as a beginner in the world of cooking, I wouldn’t want to burn my kitchen down on the first try. I don’t know what would be worse – the fact that I no longer own a kitchen, or all the teasing and laughing I’d get from my friends and family. I would have to move to a different country to avoid their comments.
Therefore, when starting out on this adventure, do it carefully and cautiously. But, also, give yourself some freedom to experiment. I know this sounds paradoxical, but that’s the exact …

Cooking like a pro

Learning how to cook is one of the most practical skills anyone can have. Cooking may be intimidating at first, especially if you are a beginner, but leading LPG solutions provider Solane believes that you can master it with consistent practice.

Chef Sau del Rosario, ambassador of Solane’s Kitchen Hero — a nationwide cooking competition which aims to recognize a new generation of local talented chefs — shares his secrets to acing your cooking skills in no time.

Read the recipe. Before you start cooking, be sure to read through the recipe. This will help you know which ingredients need to be chopped and prepped early on. Having everything prepared before cooking will speed up your cooking time and keep you from getting frazzled or confused.

Add creativity to your dishes. Being creative not only makes your food look appetizing but also makes the dining experience more exciting. For Chef Sau, this means being able to modernize your dish so it’s more relatable and appealing especially to…

Clever habits to manage leftovers

Too many leftovers? Manage them by using some of these clever habits.

We always talk about recycling, conserving and going green, but is that really what is happening?

It all starts at home. When I was a kid, we were taught that every grain of rice is important since this is the sweat of every farmer just to have it consumed on our table, we barely have any leftovers then.
But as they say, times change, we wanted more, more than what we consume, what we need.  Did you know that every year, roughly one-third of the food produced for human consumption? Around 1.3 billion tons gets wasted, says a report released by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations (UN).

Some of these food items, fruits, and vegetables, plus roots and tubers, have the highest wastage rates.
Similarly, food wastage is becoming a public concern in the Philippines, especially that every day, the country discards around 987,952 kg of rice, a staple in every Filipino meal, according to the lat…